Monday, November 5, 2007

West- An Unhealthy Attitude

West worries me a little bit. While I like him as a character, and I hope it works out between him and Claire, I have to admit that his attitude about his powers is not always the healthiest.

He said two things that really worried me. First, when Claire asked him, "I have to listen to my parents, don't you?" He responds, "I can fly, that makes the whole parental guidance thing a non issue.
" To further illustrate my point he states, "you have a power. By definition, you're better than she is."

Now think carefully about these statements. He very clearly relishes his powers. Time and again, he tells Claire how she should embrace her power. This is actually very eerily similar to the attitude of Magneto. Magento fully embraced his power and thought that humans were beneath him because his abilities made him "better" than them.

Is West going to be able to walk this fine line? I'm not so sure. It seems to me that this is clearly the direction that the writers are gong to take this character. He is unlike almost all other characters in the show in that he fully understands and enjoys his power. This is actually further enforced by the comic this week, Team Building Exercise, when Mr. Bennet describes how most people fear or don't understand their powers. Is West destined to lead his people like Magneto lead his?

No comments: