Monday, September 29, 2008

Season 3, Episode 3 - First Thoughts


Interesting Episode. I'll dive into soon when I get a chance, but just wanted to put down some initial thoughts.

  • I really like that they are given duplicate powers to people
  • Mrs Petrelli as Sylar's Mother?
  • The company engaged in a cloning program?
  • Can Sylar really be a good guy?
Off the top of my head, I don't really think Sylar is a Petrelli, or at least not in the true sense. I somehow doubt that Angela Petrelli would just give up her son. The only plausible explanation I can come up with is that it is either not Arthur's son, in which case she was hiding Sylar, or he is one of the "cloned" children the company seems to have created, like Niki or Tracy...

I do think Sylar can walk the line of "good" guy for at least a while. First off, I've never thought Sylar is as evil as people make him out to be. There is no doubt he is power hungry. But for me he has never be truly evil because he doesn't kill indiscriminately. He doesn't kill innocent people. All his murders have been in direct attempts to obtain more power for himself. While certainly not "noble" it doesn't put Sylar in the category of crazy lunatic either. Besides, I always thought the creators would do this to the character. He is after all, Gabriel Gray. "Gray". Not Black, not White, but "Gray".

More thoughts tomorrow as I start disecting the first three episodes. Until then, what jumped out to you in the episode.

2 comments:

pug0matic said...

I don't know how I feel about a few things:

1. This whole clone thing. Nikki, Jessica and Tracy (and who knows how many more) were cloned? I'm curious to see how they work that in with Nikki's father and how Jessica was killed.

2. Angela Petrelli being Sylar's mother. I guess he could be her son from another father, but that seemed to have come out of left field. I think they were trying too hard to wow the audience this year...

I think what would make this cool is if Angela's power was really the same as Sylars. Maybe somehow over time the Company "fixed" her. She has mentioned numerous times how many terrible things she did. Maybe she plans to fix Sylar like what had been done to her. I know she said she has the dream power, but I'm thinking she could have acquired that power.

She used the word "fix" when talking to Sylar which in the first season is how Sylar described taking people's abilities. You also hear the watch ticking noise in that scene with Angela, the same noise Sylar always hears when around people with powers.

What do you think?

A few things I did like:

1. I thought the scene with Hiro and Ando in the theatre with Buster Keaton playing was great. It was almost a tribute to Keatons work. Their interaction was very comical.

2. Micah....Last season I thought maybe his power was evolving. He seems to be touching a lot of people and then can tell how they feel and what they are thinking. He did this in episode 3 with Tracy and did it in season 2 with Monica. Poor kid has been through a lot and if Nikki is really dead we better still see him. I'm sure we will.

A.E. said...

I somehow doubt that Angela Petrelli is Sylar's biological mother. I actually think Sylar could be the result of another experiment, much like Niki and Tracy.